Periodontal hygienists perform the following main functions:
- Education and advice on a broad range of oral health care issues and maintenance techniques – especially periodontal (gum) health.
At Perio Care a particular focus is placed on improving and maintaining the health of the tissues that support your teeth/implants.
- Formulating effective and personal home care/cleaning techniques to keep the mouth healthy.
- Assist in the prevention and of dental caries (decay) and gum disease via clinical removal of plaque and tartar (dental calculus) from teeth by debriding (cleaning) the teeth and root surfaces.
- Recommend and apply appropriate fluoride and de-sensitising products
- polish and recontour tooth restorations
- take dental X-rays
- make impressions of patients’ mouths for the construction of study casts/moulds
- apply and remove periodontal packs
- instruct patients on how to look after their teeth and mouth after operations
Periodontal hygienists also help patients develop an understanding of the links between good oral health and general well-being.